To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
The bid was announced after a Saudi-backed consortium withdrew its offer to buy Newcastle in late July, after months of waiting for Premier League approval.”We are already negotiating the term of our acquisition of Newcastle Football Club. We are at the advanced stage of the purchasing,” a Bellagraph Nova Group spokesman told AFP.Bellagraph Nova Group was co-founded by Singaporean cousins Nelson and Terence Loh and their business partner Evangeline Shen in 2008.The Lohs are former investment bankers at JP Morgan, and are known to be keen sports fans who sponsored Singaporean racing driver Yuey Tan as well as the national muay thai team, the Straits Times newspaper said. Topics : Three Singaporean entrepreneurs behind a Paris-based conglomerate are in “advanced” talks to buy English Premier League football club Newcastle United, the company said Monday, just weeks after a Saudi-backed bid was withdrawn.Bellagraph Nova Group, which operates across 100 countries in fields ranging from finance to sport, healthcare and luxury goods, said it has given Newcastle a letter of intent and proof it has funds for the purchase.The company also said it had “enlisted the help” of former England captain and Newcastle legend Alan Shearer, along with fellow former player Michael Chopra. Singaporean businessman Peter Lim already owns Spain’s six-time La Liga champions Valencia.Bellagraph Nova said it sent a letter of intent and “proof of funds” to Newcastle on August 10.The company’s founders “have declared their willingness to massively contribute to the development of the club through their solid and international structure and a combined business/sport devoting mindset”, it added.Bellagraph Nova Group said it oversees 31 business “entities” worldwide, with a group revenue of $12 billion in 2019 and 23,000 employees.In its proposal, the company said it has “the necessary experience and resources to accelerate Newcastle United’s growth and realize its full potential”.The Saudi-backed consortium, which included the Saudi Public Investment Fund (PIF), PCP Capital Partners and billionaire brothers David and Simon Reuben, had reportedly struck a £300 million ($391 million) deal to buy the club from unpopular owner Mike Ashley in April.The PIF, chaired by Prince Mohammad bin Salman, had been set to take an 80 percent stake under the proposed deal, which was criticized by human rights groups.
“It felt like a dead end. But through everyone’sefforts and prayers, I’m finally on my way to full recovery. I may be down, butrest assured that I will come back and once again battle at the frontlines –stronger and maybe a little bit more careful than before,” the residentdoctor of the University of Santo Tomas Hospital added. “To all my fellow frontliners, I pray you all remainsafe as this pandemic continues to wreak havoc. We still have a long way to go,but I hope we can all stay healthy as we try to defeat this virus,” Fuentebellasaid./PN The doctor is now excited to return to work. She alsoencouraged her fellow frontliners to stay strong and continue the fight againstCOVID-19. She is now slowly recovering from the coronavirus disease2019 (COVID-19) weeks after she contracted it. “It felt like a dead end. But through everyone’s efforts and prayers, I’m finally on my way to full recovery. I may be down, but rest assured that I will come back and once again battle at the frontlines,” says doctor Carmina Fuentebella. She celebrated her birthday yesterday while battling coronavirus disease 2019. CARMINA FUENTEBELLA According to her, the “past couple of weeks” have beenreally tough, but she was grateful to those people who were there with her,especially her doctors and nurses for giving their all to see if she was stillbreathing, for staying up countless nights to make sure she was still mentallyokay, for enduring with her through every step of the hardship, and for all thethings they had been doing that she was too sick to even know. Fuentebella, who turned 27 yesterday, was intubated andreceived plasma treatment during her battle. She added: “To my friends and to everyone whogenerously offered me their love and countless prayers, I may not be able topersonally thank every single one of you, but please know that I am eternallygrateful for the overwhelming support you all have given me.” MANILA – Doctor Carmina Fuentebella, whose father isDepartment of Public Works and Highways-Aklan District Engineer NoelFuentebella, received her best birthday gift yet. “I celebrate my 27th birthday with probably the bestgift yet – the gift of life,” she said on a social media post.
BACOLOD City – This city has received an allocation of P9.45 million from the national government for the rehabilitation and improvement of the Rizal Park located in front of the Rizal Elementary School on Araneta Street.Mayor Evelio Leonardia led the unveiling of the design perspective during the rites marking the 159th birthday of national hero Dr. Jose Rizal on June 19. The project is included in the Local Government Support Fund-Assistance to Cities for 2019. “We will implement this because this is the very purpose of the money. We will have this bid out,” said Leonardia. Mayor Evelio Leonardia (4th from right) and Councilor Archie Baribar (6th from left) lead the unveiling of the design perspective for the P9.45-million rehabilitation and improvement of Bacolod City’s Rizal Park. The activity was part of the rites commemorating the 159th birthday of national hero Dr. Jose P. Rizal hosted by the Rizal Elementary School on June 19. BACOLOD CITY PIO “There is a program of the Department of Budget and Management that allocates billions for parks all over the Philippines. We were given an allocation for Bacolod. I recommended the Rizal Park again,” he said. Rizal was born in Calamba, Laguna on June 19, 1861. (With a report from PNA/PN) “Today, in almost all plazas of the Philippines, that statement became prophetic,” he added. He also shared a story about Rizal who made a statue when he was a child. When his sisters broke it, Rizal cried and said that someday he would make an image of himself in stone that could not be broken. The mayor said he hopes the project would be finished and inaugurated in time for the commemoration of the Rizal Day on December 30 this year. “He was a purposeful man. He did things with the end-view that he can give something to his motherland. The only love that surpassed his love for his mother was his love for the motherland,” said Baribar. “This project is going to further immortalize Jose Rizal. I hope that we will continue to preserve this. Let us make sure that it becomes an attraction in Bacolod,” Leonardia said. He asked Rizal Elementary School principal Dennis Estaniel that once the Rizal Park is refurbished, they should ensure that it is preserved and maintained well. Councilor Archie Baribar, the guest of honor and speaker, said Rizal was “not a hero by accident.”
Press Association O’Neill’s side do not go into many matches with a heavy expectation of victory but Saturday’s home clash against a side ranked 179th in the world, nestling neatly between Chinese Taipei and the Turks & Caicos Islands, is one such occasion. Expectations are even loftier given last month’s impressive 2-1 away win over Hungary in their first Euro 2016 qualifier, but O’Neill accepts this will be a much different challenge. Capacity has been reduced to 10,500 as a result but O’Neill is more interested in the new and improved playing surface. “The pitch is always the priority for me. It’s great. The surroundings pale into insignificance if I’m honest and I think the players certainly enjoyed the training on it,” he said. “I don’t think the surroundings will be a huge factor on the game. Once the game starts I think the players will be focused on what is going on on the pitch. “I still think there will be a great atmosphere. The stadium is sold out and the backing of the fans will be huge for us on a night when the expectation is higher than it has been and we have to rise to that.” Northern Ireland conspicuously failed to put away the lower ranked sides in World Cup qualifying, taking a miserable two points from 12 against Luxembourg and Azerbaijan. A 4-0 win against the Faroes on their last visit to Belfast in 2011 offers more reason for cheer, but O’Neill is not focused on past results. “I don’t think we can dwell on that,” he said. “If you go back down the years there is always different groups of players and they know none of these games are straightforward. “We have to play as well as we did in Budapest and with the same intensity and quality.” Northern Ireland are relishing a rare chance to focus on attack against the Faroe Islands, according to manager Michael O’Neill. He will ask, as always, for defensive rigour and tactical discipline but has tailored this week’s training sessions firmly towards breaking down the opposition rather than holding them off at the other end. And it is a shift in emphasis that has gone down well in the squad. “There has been a lot of focus on our attacking play especially, our approach has been slightly different,” he said. “Obviously when you are doing attacking play the players enjoy it more than the other side of the game so it’s been a really good week. The mood in the camp is excellent. “We anticipate having more possession than we have had in our recent away games and given that we will have more possession we hope to turn that into opportunities. “You just can’t go out and play off the cuff and play in a cavalier fashion. But our attacking players often have to do a lot of work off the ball. This is an opportunity to show the other side to their game.” The game also represents a first home fixture for Northern Ireland in 13 months, during which time O’Neill’s squad have played eight successive away games and racked up 34,000 air miles. Home comforts may be hard to come by at Windsor Park though, with two stands having been demolished as part of the ongoing redevelopment.
The three employees were each charged with violating the Florida Anti-Tampering Food Act, a first-degree felony, and battery on a law enforcement officer, a third-degree felony, according to the sheriff’s office. Three teens have been fired and arrested for reportedly spitting into Okeechobee County deputies’ food while working at a restaurant.Two uniformed, on-duty deputies stopped at the Highway 55 Restaurant for dinner and according to a witness, three teenage employees conspired to spit in the deputies’ food.The owners immediately watched surveillance footage that confirmed the accusations. Three Okeechobee teens fired, arrested for spitting in deputies’ food https://t.co/PTEsEDv12h— WPTV (@WPTV) May 2, 2019
Sophomore middle blocker Sam Lewis led the Trojans with 87 blocks, 13 digs and 12 aces as a freshman last season. (Ling Luo / Daily Trojan)Coming off an 8-20 season that saw two seven-game losing streaks, USC men’s volleyball hopes to make a statement early in the 2019 season. USC is carrying itself with the motto “Resurgence,” hoping to bounce back from the most overall losses and conference losses in a season for the team since 2005. However, season highlights included sweeping No. 3 UCLA in the last home game of the season and defeating No. 5 Pepperdine in a 3-1 match in the first round of the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation tournament. “Resurgence” was palpable in the team’s first game of the season in which it defeated Canada’s No. 3 team Alberta in a 3-1 match. Senior outside hitter Jack Wyett led the offense with 16 kills and a .560 hitting percentage, and senior outside hitter Ryan Moss contributed 12 kills. Sophomore setter Chris Hall filled the void left by graduating setter Gert Lisha, leading the offense with 34 assists.“Last season did not meet the standard of excellence that we are used to at USC, not even close,” said head coach Jeff Nygaard. “All of us were disappointed and upset with how we performed. We have embraced the challenge of bouncing back in 2019. I believe we will.”Nygaard is in his fourth year as head coach and holds a 29-53 overall record. He spent five seasons prior as the middle blockers and lead assistant coach.The Trojans will return 14 players and add some new faces to the roster this season. Wyett will lead USC in both sides of the game. He finished last season with a .290 hitting percentage and led the team in overall digs with 151, earning All-MPSF first team honors and 2018 AVCA All-American honorable mention. In seven games, he boasted over 20 kills. “Jack carried a big load for us last year and delivered, and I expect it will be more of the same this year,” Nygaard said. “After gaining valuable training experience with the USA team this summer, he comes back more seasoned and physical and with higher expectations, from both himself and us.”Sophomore middle blocker Sam Lewis will take on a leadership role on the Trojan squad after captaining the 2018 USA Volleyball Junior National Team. He finished the 2018 season as an MPSF All-Freshman selection with a .334 hitting percentage and team-high 87 blocks. Although he is currently recovering from a collapsed lung, Lewis’ National Team experience should carry the Trojans throughout the season once he recovers. Senior outside hitter Gianluca Grasso trailed Wyett last season with 275 kills and lead the team with 45 aces, ranking No. 10 nationally in aces. His crafty technique combined with Moss’ versatility at any position should give the Trojans an edge in the MPSF. The Trojans will add the 2018 National Player of the Year and All-CIF Division I Player of the Year in freshman outside hitter Brandon Browning. Browning will have to compete against Wyett and Grasso’s experience and leadership, but his experience playing two years on the USA Volleyball Youth National Team and tenacious effort could sneak him into the lineup. “Brandon is the real deal,” Nygaard said. “There is no mystery why he was so highly decorated in high school. He has no real weaknesses for a young player.”USC will also become home to junior middle blocker and Santa Monica College transfer Vecas Lewin, as well as freshman setter Jameson McKibbin, who is following the steps of his two brothers, uncle and aunt to USC volleyball programs. The Men of Troy will head to Honolulu on Jan. 10 to kick off the Hawaiian Airlines Rainbow Warrior Classic against Concordia University.
Bukola Olopade ACCESS BANK LAGOS CITY MARATHONOrganiser of the Access Bank Lagos City Marathon, Hon Bukola Olopade, on Tuesday, advised professional athletes not to dream of winning any of the lucrative prizes for the 2019 Access Bank Lagos City Marathon race slated for February 2, 2019.In a statement signed by Olukayode Thomas, Head Communications, and Media, Olopade said: “Any athlete registered by AFN, the IAAF or any other federation elsewhere in the world including state athletics associations are ineligible to participate in the 10km race, if they do and win, they will not get any of the prizes.” The 10km races start at the Lekki Roundabout and finish at the Eko Atlantic City, Lagos.Olopade, who is the Project Consultant, said apart from promoting the city of Lagos, encouraging tourism and other socio-economic benefits, the Access Bank Lagos City Marathon was conceived because of the immense health benefits that come with running, walking and jogging,“We want our people to embrace exercise, running, jogging and walking as a way of life because of the immense health benefits that come with it. That is why one of our sponsors, Kia Motors, is giving away two cars to winners of the 10 km race and our other sponsors are also giving millions of Naira as prize money.”Olopade said if the ordinary fun runner in Ajegunle or Ajah can win a car or millions of Naira,“It will encourage others to embrace the culture of running as they will aim for the prizes, and by so doing, enjoy the health benefits of running. Healthy citizens mean a more productive workforce and less spending on healthcare by the government, thus money for healthcare can be channeled to other areas of need”.The Race Organizer urges fun runners across Nigeria to register for the race,“The prizes are strictly for fun runners, any professional athlete that participates will be disqualified. Registration is open online, at all Access Bank branches nationwide and in other parts of Lagos. Because of the city’s diversity; we have opened more centers for physical collection. One of our sponsors, RevolutionPlus Development Company, has been generous enough to allow us use their offices at Freedom Way, Lekki and Toyin Street, Ikeja as collection centres. That way, Lagosians in Lagos East and West need not come to the Marathon Office at Teslim Balogun Stadium, Lagos Central to pick forms”.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
WINTER TRANSFERBayern Munich has gone on the record about its pursuit of Chelsea winger Callum Hudson-Odoi following a £35m bid for the 18-year-old.Hudson-Odoi has played seven times this season and has 18 months left on his contract. Hudson-Odoi is wanted by Bayern Munich “We really want to sign him,” said Bayern’s Director of Sport Hasan Salihamidzic.“He has qualities that fit our team. He can dribble and has a drive towards goal. He has lots of potential.”Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri said he wants Hudson-Odoi to stay at the club, who have offered the youngster a new deal.Hudson-Odoi, who made his first-team debut in the FA Cup in January last year, made a second successive start in the Carabao Cup defeat by Tottenham on Tuesday.On Saturday, he provided assists for two goals in the FA Cup third-round win over Nottingham Forest.But the FA Youth Cup and Under-17 World Cup winner is yet to start a Premier League game at Chelsea and has made only one top-flight appearance this season.If the teenager moves to Bayern, he will become the third English teenager currently in the Bundesliga – alongside Jadon Sancho, 18, who left Manchester City for Borussia Dortmund in 2017, and Reiss Nelson, 19, on loan from Arsenal at Hoffenheim until July.Eden Hazard, Willian and Pedro are all regulars in Chelsea’s starting line-up ahead of Hudson-Odoi, but Sarri said he was starting “to consider him at the same level”.The England U19 international is set to face more competition next season at Stamford Bridge with the £58m arrival of United States winger Christian Pulisic from Borussia Dortmund.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram