RelatedPosts Pirlo not out to copy anyone after Juventus’ comfortable opening win Barca president Bartomeu says he won’t go to war anymore with Messi Bale completes Tottenham return from Real Madrid Lionel Messi has said his intense rivalry with former Real Madrid counterpart Cristiano Ronaldo at “the best two” clubs in the world will never be forgotten. Ronaldo left Madrid as the club’s all-time top scorer after nine seasons to join Juventus in 2018 and the two have not faced each other since. “It was special and it was a duel that will remain forever as it went on for many years and it isn’t easy to keep competing at the highest level for so long,” Messi told Dazn Italia when asked about his rivalry with Cristiano Ronaldo. “More so in the two teams that we were at, so demanding as is Madrid and Barca, the best two in the world. “Competing head to head for so many years will be remembered forever. The sporting rivalry between us was very nice on a personal level. I think that the fans also enjoyed it, be they Madrid or Barca supporters, and those who just like football in general will also have enjoyed it.” Messi won his sixth Ballon d’Or in 2019 to go one ahead of Ronaldo, who has claimed the prestigious honour on five occasions. During Ronaldo’s time in the Spanish capital he scored 450 goals in 438 matches, while Messi netted 472 goals in 476 appearances across all competitions. The Clasico had a distinct flavour when Ronaldo was at Madrid, according to Messi. “Obviously when Cristiano was at Madrid the games against them were always special,” the Argentina captain said. “It was all the more special because of what those game mean but those times are behind us and things go on, it’s what it is.”Tags: Cristiano RonaldoDazn ItaliaJuventuJuventusLionel MessiReal Madrid
Update on the latest sports — The NBA has given teams a more definitive timetable for the restart to the season. It includes required coronavirus testing that is set to begin this month and mandatory individual workouts in early July before training camps. The league is still working on completing the health and safety protocols that will essentially become the rulebook for the restart at the Disney campus near Orlando, Florida. Talks with the players’ union on those matters are continuing.—The University of Houston is suspending all voluntary workouts for its athletes after six tested positive for COVID-19 with symptoms. Houston announced it was shutting down workouts due to “an abundance of caution” and an increase of positive tests in the greater Houston area over the last week. The school said the athletes, who were not identified, have been placed in isolation and medical staff is conducting contact-tracing procedure.— An unidentified Boston Bruins player has tested positive for COVID-19. General manager Don Sweeney says the player had not been a part of informal workouts with his teammates. The Bruins say the player was tested as a requirement to enter the team’s practice facility and came up positive. The player has not shown any COVID-19 symptoms. The Bruins say the player has since tested negative twice for the disease.— The Kentucky Derby Festival won’t have any large-scale events this year, including the highly popular Thunder Over Louisville air and fireworks show that leads off the run-up to the Kentucky Derby. The Kentucky Oaks for fillies and 146th Derby were postponed from May 1-2 to Sept. 4-5 because of the coronavirus pandemic. Thunder Over Louisville was rescheduled for August, but Festival organizers announced last night that the air show and events such as the miniMarathon and Pegasus Parade are off.— Formula One races in Azerbaijan, Singapore and Japan have been canceled because of issues arising from the coronavirus pandemic. The sport’s governing body says it still hopes to deliver up to 18 races in the rearranged 2020 season. The first eight have already been confirmed and they start with a double-header in Austria in early July. The races in Azerbaijan and Singapore use street circuits and require long lead times to construct them. The Japanese Grand Prix was canceled because of ongoing travel restrictions during the pandemic. That was scheduled for Oct. 11. Associated Press Woods only played Hilton Head one time, in 1999. It was thought he might return at Hilton Head, especially with no likely appearances for him until the Memorial on July 16-19. Speculation increased when a marine tracking site indicated his yacht “Privacy” was just off the Georgia coast near Sea Island.But there could be family obligations as his daughter’s 13th birthday is Thursday.AMERICA PROTESTS-TEXASTexas athletes: Rename buildings, drop ‘The Eyes of Texas’AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — A group of University of Texas football players and athletes across several sports called on the school Friday to rename several campus buildings, change the traditional school song and donate a percentage of athletic department revenue to organizations supporting the Black Lives Matter movement. Players would get 70% of their prorated salaries during the regular season and the rest for completion of the postseason. The players’ last offer was for an 89-game regular season at full prorated pay.MLB proposed that players be guaranteed about $1.25 billion in salaries, earn an additional $200 million if the postseason is completed plus a $50 million postseason players’ pool even if no tickets are sold.The union’s proposal would guarantee players $2.2 billion. Before the new coronavirus caused opening day to be pushed back from March 26, salaries had been set to total $4 billion.Players have insisted they receive 100% of their prorated salaries, the terms the sides agreed to in March. But MLB told the union that playing in empty ballparks without gate revenue would cause a loss of $640,000 for each additional game played and that teams can’t afford 100% prorated pay. The union has said it doubts MLB’s figures but has not received sufficient financial disclosure to make a full evaluation.In other news related to the coronavirus pandemic: Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditVIRUS OUTBREAK-SPORTSMLB offers players 80% of prorated salaries, 72-game seasonUNDATED (AP) — Major League Baseball has offered players 80% of their prorated salaries and a 72-game schedule starting July 14 in an effort to start the pandemic-delayed season. That’s according to details of the proposal obtained Friday by The Associated Press. The letter said it was sent on behalf of the Longhorn “student athlete body.” It said the football team will participate in all required team activities ahead of the upcoming season, but players would not aid in recruiting future players or participate in alumni events.The two-page, unsigned note posted on social media accounts of dozens of Longhorns athletes noted the school’s motto of “What starts here changes the world.” It said the group was moved to issue its call for campus changes after protests erupted nationwide following the death of George Floyd while in the custody of Minneapolis police.NCAA-COMPENSATING ATHLETESFlorida governor signs college athlete compensation billTALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has signed into law a bill that would allow college athletes in the state to earn money from endorsement deals. — The Court of Arbitration for Sport says it has dismissed appeals by two Swiss soccer clubs who wanted to complete their league season despite the coronavirus pandemic. The Swiss soccer association voided the seasons of all leagues below the second division and scrapped promotion from the third division. Third-division league leader Yverdon Sport asked CAS to approve its promotion and both Yverdon and second-place Rapperswil-Jona appealed to the court to order the season restarted. The court says the Swiss soccer body did not violate its rules and dismissed the appeals one day after a fast-track hearing was held Thursday.— English Premier League jerseys will feature “Black Lives Matter” instead of player names for the first 12 games after the competition’s shutdown ends on Wednesday. The movement’s campaign logo will then feature elsewhere on jerseys through the July 26 conclusion of the pandemic-delayed season as players decided to highlight racial injustice following the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis last month. The Premier League also announced it would support players taking a knee at matches.— The head of the Tokyo Olympics says 80% of the facilities needed for next year’s games have “basic approval” to be used. But organizing committee president Yoshiro Mori says “there are also venues that already have reservations from other users for next year.” Organizers say that two of the largest venues needed for the Olympics have not yet been secured. They are the 5,000-apartment Athletes Village and the Tokyo Big Sight. That is the venue for the main press center. Organizers are also still unable to say what the delay caused by the coronavirus pandemic will cost and who will pay.PGA-COLONIALVarner takes early 1-shot lead over Spieth, DeChambeau At other schools, coaches and players have organized team-wide voter registration efforts, marches and rallies.The protests were sparked by the death of George Floyd, a handcuffed black man who who died after a white Minneapolis police officer pressed his knee into Floyd’s neck for several minutes.The NCAA did not mandate a day off for athletes on election day, but instead encouraged schools to assist students in registering to vote and give them a day off from athletics.CINCINNATI-SCHOTT’S NAMEWhat’s in a name? Cincinnati grapples with Marge Schott Hilton Head field stacked with winners, but no Tiger WoodsHILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. (AP) — The field for the RBC Heritage next week includes 114 players who have won on the PGA Tour, the most of any event since the tour began keeping track in 2000.It just doesn’t have Tiger Woods.For the second straight week, the top five in the world will be competing as golf resumes its schedule from the COVID-19 pandemic shutdown that began in March.Rory McIlroy, the world’s No. 1 player, will be at Hilton Head for the first time since 2009. Brooks Koepka will be playing for the first time. The law goes into effect in July 2021. By then, both the NCAA and Congress could have national legislation in place to lift restrictions on college athletes being paid for the use of their names, images and likenesses. Florida is the third state, joining California and Colorado, to pass a law targeting current NCAA rules that restrict college athlete compensation. Florida’s law goes into effect 18 months earlier than the other two.NCAA-ELECTION DAYNCAA encourages day off from college sports on election dayUNDATED (AP) — The NCAA is encouraging its 1,100 member colleges and universities to give athletes the day off from sports on election day.In response to nationwide protests of police brutality and racial injustice, Georgia Tech announced earlier this week it was giving nine fall sports teams a day off from athletic activities on Nov. 3 so athletes can vote in person. UCLA followed with a similar announcement. FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — Harold Varner III took his place in history in the PGA Tour’s technology era, all because of a triple bogey.Jordan Spieth had his lowest 36-hole score in four years. Rory McIlroy shot 63 with a bogey on his last hole. The strongest field of the year in golf’s return to competition produced an All-Star leaderboard at the Charles Schwab Challenge.Varner had plenty of juices flowing after his first tee shot on No. 10 went onto a bridge, led to a one-shot penalty, and eventually a triple bogey that quickly knocked him out of a share of the lead. No worries. He answered with eight birdies and a place in the record book with a 66. It was the lowest score on the PGA Tour by a player who began his round with a triple bogey. He was at 11-under 129, the lowest 36-hole score of his career. He heads into the third round with a one-shot lead over Spieth and Bryson DeChambeau.The PGA Tour has returned after three months because of the pandemic. And if the opening round felt like the first day of school, Friday was a small step toward normalcy, even without fans.PGA-FBC HERITAGE June 13, 2020 CINCINNATI (AP) — Marge Schott’s slurs and other offensive comments while she owned the Cincinnati Reds have organizations in her hometown reconsidering the use of her name on facilities that benefited from her donations.Schott died in 2004, but her name is still prominent in the community. Most of her estate went to a foundation that funds a wide range of philanthropic ventures. Her name is featured on many facilities, from the Cincinnati Zoo to a baseball stadium on the University of Cincinnati’s campus.Calls for racial justice following George Floyd’s death have renewed questions about how to remember Schott, who was repeatedly suspended and ultimately ousted by Major League Baseball over her slurs and praise for Adolf Hitler.A Catholic high school this week became the first to remove her name from facilities.
WINTER TRANSFERBayern Munich has gone on the record about its pursuit of Chelsea winger Callum Hudson-Odoi following a £35m bid for the 18-year-old.Hudson-Odoi has played seven times this season and has 18 months left on his contract. Hudson-Odoi is wanted by Bayern Munich “We really want to sign him,” said Bayern’s Director of Sport Hasan Salihamidzic.“He has qualities that fit our team. He can dribble and has a drive towards goal. He has lots of potential.”Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri said he wants Hudson-Odoi to stay at the club, who have offered the youngster a new deal.Hudson-Odoi, who made his first-team debut in the FA Cup in January last year, made a second successive start in the Carabao Cup defeat by Tottenham on Tuesday.On Saturday, he provided assists for two goals in the FA Cup third-round win over Nottingham Forest.But the FA Youth Cup and Under-17 World Cup winner is yet to start a Premier League game at Chelsea and has made only one top-flight appearance this season.If the teenager moves to Bayern, he will become the third English teenager currently in the Bundesliga – alongside Jadon Sancho, 18, who left Manchester City for Borussia Dortmund in 2017, and Reiss Nelson, 19, on loan from Arsenal at Hoffenheim until July.Eden Hazard, Willian and Pedro are all regulars in Chelsea’s starting line-up ahead of Hudson-Odoi, but Sarri said he was starting “to consider him at the same level”.The England U19 international is set to face more competition next season at Stamford Bridge with the £58m arrival of United States winger Christian Pulisic from Borussia Dortmund.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram