Family seals deal after bidding battle at auction

first_imgThe home at 25 Bride St, Wynnum.STRONG bidding ensured the sale of a renovated character home in Wynnum on the weekend. The five-bedroom home at 25 Bride St sold for $915,000 under the hammer. Marketing agent David Lazarus, of Belle Property Manly, said three bidders registered for the auction and two actively vied for the property. “We had an opening bid of $800,000 and strong bidding to $900,000,” he said. “We stopped there and negotiated a little bit more. We put it on the market at $915,000 and that’s where it stayed.”More from newsCrowd expected as mega estate goes under the hammer7 Aug 2020Hard work, resourcefulness and $17k bring old Ipswich home back to life20 Apr 2020The kitchen at 25 Bride St, Wynnum.Mr Lazarus said about 40 groups inspected the home during the marketing campaign and 30 people gathered to watch the property sell on auction day. He said the successful buyers were a local family. “The new owners are upgrading from Wynnum West and the sellers have bought a place on the Esplanade,” he said. “They were all very happy with the result.”Mr Lazarus said the Wynnum property market was bubbling along nicely.“I reckon clearance rates are sitting at about 80 per cent for the year,” he said.last_img read more

Miami Beach, Fort Lauderdale Jointly Announce Closure of Beaches, Other Measures

first_imgGelber had already declared that spring break was “over” in South Beach during a Thursday news conference.On Friday, Fort Lauderdale’s mayor called a state of emergency in response to the virus, cancelling all city events and meetings for the next 30 days, through April 12.The following events in Fort Lauderdale are postponed:* All meetings of the commission and city boards, including advisory boards, city committees and City working groups;* All special magistrate, code enforcement, board of adjustment and nuisance abatement board hearings;* All homeowner association and civic association meetings held on city property;* All city events and city-approved events; and* All city recreational programs, facility rentals, pools and organized sports leagues. Parks facilities and community centers remain open during normal business hours; however, all programming is postponed.In addition, all organized public gatherings must now be capped at 250 people, says Trantalis.Exemptions include land or facilities owned and managed by Broward County, the Broward County School Board, the North Broward Hospital District, the state or federal government, as well as hospitals and healthcare facilities.Fort Lauderdale is requiring every public place, including all businesses, restaurants, bars and retail shops, to have alcohol-based hand sanitizer at every entrance. Spring break is officially coming to an end at two South Florida party spots.Fort Lauderdale and Miami Beach announced jointly Sunday afternoon they are closing their beaches in an attempt to contain the spread of COVID-19.Dean Trantalis, mayor of Fort Lauderdale, and Dan Gelber, mayor of Miami Beach, said the two cities developed a plan so that any new rules implemented by one city would not send a crush of spring breakers to the other municipality.“We have to everything we can to minimize crowds and stop further cases of COVID-19,” said Trantalis.He added that Fort Lauderdale Beach will be closed as of today through April 12 from Harbor Drive to north of Oakland Park Blvd.Gelber said South Beach will be closed from 5th St to 15th St. until March 19th. Officials will decide at that time whether the beach should remain closed.He addressed spring breakers descending on South Beach: “You have a mother, you have a grandmother and maybe a great grandmother. That virus can be extremely dangerous to them. We cannot come a petri dish for a very dangerous virus.”The two mayors announced the policy as the number of new cases increased overnight to 109 in Florida, with 36 in Broward.last_img read more

Winner reveal: Have you won two tickets for Patrick Feeney & his Band in the Abbey Hotel + a €50 Dining Voucher

first_imgCountry music phenomenon Patrick Feeney & his Band are set to take to the stage at the Abbey Hotel this Saturday, August 3rd!Jivers and music lovers will be flocking to Donegal Town this weekend to see the highly popular Irish country performer from 11pm. And the winner is…Carmel Boyce!Congratulations Carmel, you will get two free tickets for Patrick Feeney and his Band on August 3rd and a €50 dining voucher for Abbey Bar. Feeney has one of the broadest repertoires of contemporary Irish country performers, with songs from Bruce Springsteen and Ed Sheeran and recastings of traditional folk favourites interspersed with more mainstream material.Doors open at 9:30pm on Saturday, with Country DJ Stephen Doherty on stage between 10pm-11pm!Tickets are available at reception at the Abbey Hotel for €15 or at the door on the night.Winner reveal: Have you won two tickets for Patrick Feeney & his Band in the Abbey Hotel + a €50 Dining Voucher was last modified: August 3rd, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

SA condemns terror attack in Kenya

first_img23 September 2013 The South African government has condemned the terrorist attack on a shopping mall in Nairobi, Kenya in which at least 68 people, including a South African, were killed and around 200 people injured. President Zuma, on behalf of the government and people of South Africa, on Sunday expressed his shock and dismay at Saturday’s attack. Zuma expressed his sympathy and deepest condolences to the family of the South African, as well as to the government and people of Kenya and especially the families of the many deceased, and wished the wounded survivors a speedy recovery. “South Africa continues to support Kenya’s and the international community’s efforts aimed at peacekeeping, stability, democracy and nation-building in Somalia,” Zuma said in a statement. “Terrorism in any form and from whichever quarter cannot be condoned, and South Africa stands firmly with the international community in condemning all terrorism, and this act in particular. We wish the Kenyan government every success in rapidly resolving this issue with as little further loss of life as possible.” The South African High Commission in Nairobi is closely monitoring the situation in close liaison with the Kenyan authorities. Consular assistance is being provided to the next of kin of the deceased South African. Meanwhile, Kenya’s Cabinet Secretary in charge of Internal Security, Joseph Ole Lenku, told journalists in Nairobi on Sunday that the security operation to free hostages who were still trapped inside the Westgate mall would continue. “Regrettably, the human loss in the attack also went up overnight,” Lenku told journalists on Sunday. “We have established the location of the criminals. It’s a delicate balance and we want to evacuate the hostages safely.” He said the police had managed to evacuate more than 1 000 people from the mall overnight, but that a number of others still remained. “The operation is in a very delicate stage. Our paramount responsibility is to ensure that our people still held in the mall come out alive.” Fierce gunfire was heard from the mall on Sunday as the hostage standoff in Nairobi entered its second day amid heavy security around the building. Militants from Somalia have claimed responsibility for the attack, saying it was retaliation for Kenya’s military intervention in Somalia. An Al-Shabaab spokesman said in an audio message, “Either leave our country or live with constant attacks.” According to the latest reports, the slain foreign victims include Canadians, French nationals, Chinese, South African and Ghanaian people. The Kenya Defense Forces (KDF) entered Somalia two years ago to pursue the militants, who often crossed the border to stage attacks. Lenku said the authorities believed there were 10 to 15 attackers still in the building. “We are grateful for all offers of support from individuals and friendly countries we have received. But by and large, this remains a national security operation,” Lenku said. Former Prime Minister Raila Odinga condemned the terrorist attack as an act of cowardice and assured the country that its security forces were up to task. “We will not be intimidated. The act was intended to cow the people of Kenya, but the Kenyan spirit is strong,” Odinga told journalists in Nairobi on Sunday. He appealed to the international community not to issue travel advisories against Kenya, but work with the government to ensure return to normalcy. “This is not the time for grandstanding. This is not the time for partisan politics. It is a time to unite the country. This is a tragic moment in Kenya. It has been 15 years since the last terrorist attack that claimed 250 lives,” Odinga said. Source: SAnews.gov.za-Xinhualast_img read more