Forty years after the Supreme Court handed down its landmark decision in Roe v. Wade, the backlash it generated continues to shape the public discourse, says Harvard Law School Professor Michael Klarman, an expert on constitutional law and constitutional history.“The justices who decided Roe almost certainly did not expect the kind of political backlash that materialized in its wake,” Klarman said. “They thought they were pushing the country further in the direction it was inexorably moving in, which was progressive reform of abortion statutes.”At a March 12 event commemorating the 1973 decision guaranteeing a woman’s right to an abortion through the second trimester, Klarman explored the ways that public response to the controversial Supreme Court decision sparked a strong resistance that redrew the lines on the cultural battlefield. Harvard Law Students for Reproductive Justice hosted the talk.Klarman offered several explanations for why the court ruled the way it did in the case and how the country responded. For starters, the Supreme Court was fooled by opinion polls showing that 64 percent of Americans in the summer of 1972 thought that abortion should be a private decision between women and their doctors, even while 32 states still had restrictions allowing abortions only when a woman’s life was in jeopardy. The court might also have been convinced that opposition to abortion was mostly coming from a vocal Roman Catholic minority, which had also opposed expanding access to contraceptives.Read more about Klarman’s talk on the Harvard Law School website. Read Full Story
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
Advertisement Comment Metro Sport ReporterSaturday 15 Aug 2020 11:17 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link9.3kShares Gabriel is set to join either Arsenal or Napoli from Lille (Picture: Getty)Arsenal have had a €30million bid accepted by Lille for Gabriel Magalhaes with the Brazilian defender now set to choose between a move to the Gunners or Napoli.Manchester United had also been interested in signing the 22-year-old but according to Le 10 Sport they will now switch their focus to attempting to agree a deal to bring Monaco’s Benoit Badiashile to Old Trafford instead. Everton had also expressed an interest in signing Gabriel but were reported to have had a €20m offer rejected earlier this week.Napoli signed Gabriel’s now former team-mate Victor Osimhen earlier this summer for an initial €60m but have lost out to Arsenal in recent years with the likes of Bernd Leno, Lucas Torreira and Nicolas Pepe all favouring moves to north London.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTMikel Arteta is keen to strengthen his defence during the transfer window, particularly given he is said to be giving consideration to reverting to a 4-3-3 formation next season. Man Utd are targeting a move for Monaco’s Benoit Badiashile (Picture: Getty)Arsenal will listen to offers for the likes of Sokratis Papastathopoulos, Calum Chambers and Rob Holding, while Shkodran Mustafi could also be deemed surplus to requirements. William Saliba has returned from his loan spell at Saint Etienne, while both Pablo Mari and David Luiz, fresh from signing new deals, will compete for first team places. Gabriel is expected to make his decision, meanwhile, imminently with Lille president Gerard Lopez confirming the Ligue 1 club will not stand in his way. ‘The way we work is very simple,’ he told BBC World Service. ‘We explain to him and his environment, his agent, what we are looking for, and once we get those offers the choice is his, like we did with Nico [Pepe] and Victor [Oshimen]. More: Manchester United FCRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseEx-Man Utd coach blasts Ed Woodward for two key transfer errors‘We are there now, so we told him, ‘Eventually you have to make a decision but we’re not pressing you’.‘I think he will make it this week, or next week at the latest. He is leaving, we’ve given the OK for that. ‘There’s a lot of competition. He’s a young player so he’s got to make sure he makes the right decision.‘We help him out a little bit so we tell him, ‘We think this might be the right manager or club for you’. ‘He’s got so much talent, he will succeed wherever he goes.’MORE: Arsenal hero Paul Merson endorses Chelsea’s transfer move for £80m target Declan RiceMORE: Thomas Partey told to reject Arsenal move by Ghana coach CK AkonnorFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page. Advertisement Arsenal transfer boost as Man Utd pull out of Gabriel race to focus on signing Monaco star
Governor Wolf Joins Federal, State and Local Officials to Open New Lower Hill Infrastructure in Pittsburgh SHARE Email Facebook Twitter October 07, 2016 Infrastructure, Press Release Pittsburgh, PA – Governor Tom Wolf today joined federal, state and local officials, along with the Sports and Exhibition Authority and Urban Redevelopment Authority, to officially open new streets in the Lower Hill Infrastructure Project in Pittsburgh.“Through our work with the public and private sector on this project, we are working to correct a mistake made almost 70 years ago,” said Governor Tom Wolf. “This project begins to right that wrong, and will help to redevelop the lower hill area in a way that will not only bring value and enrich the land, but will link the Hill District to downtown and provide real benefits to this community.”Today’s event marked the completion of the first portion of the project that included the construction of a new Fullerton Street that connects Bedford Avenue to Centre Avenue, along with a portion of Wylie Avenue joining Fullerton Street to Crawford Street.Funding for the work was provided through an $11.5 million Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program (RACP) grant and $1 million of Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP) funding.The infrastructure project has been designed, and is being constructed, as part of a planned Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) for Neighborhood Development certification. It includes energy efficient street lighting, stormwater planters and street trees. Additionally, the design includes pedestrian and traffic safety improvements, upgrades to storm and sanitary lines, and improved bicycle connections.In the mid-1950s, the Lower Hill District was declared blighted resulting in 1,300 buildings on 95 acres being cleared, displacing over 8,000 people and 413 businesses. The ambitious plans for urban renewal never fully materialized and what was once a thriving community became mostly surface parking.The Lower Hill Infrastructure Project will help to repair the mistakes of the 1950s and extend the economic strengths of Downtown to the Hill District. When complete, the development is projected to create 2,948 permanent jobs.Like Governor Tom Wolf on Facebook: Facebook.com/GovernorWolf
Pension providers including Sweden’s AP2, Canada’s Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec and TIAA-CREF have been heavily criticised in a report claiming their Brazilian farmland investments are linked to a local businessman accused of land-grabbing and suspected of involvement in money laundering.The report also says farms have been acquired through a company structure that avoids Brazil’s tight regulations on foreign investment.The research was carried out by the NGOs GRAIN, which supports small farmers in working for community-controlled and biodiversity-based food systems, Rede Social de Justiça e Direitos Humanos, Inter Pares and Solidarity Sweden-Latin America.The investments were made through the TIAA-CREF Global Agriculture fund (TCGA), which launched in 2012 with $2bn (€1.9bn) committed to investing in farmland in “major grain-exporting nations” – the US, Australia and Brazil. The researchers said their investigations revealed that some of the farms TCGA acquired “were owned by the companies of a Brazilian businessman [Euclides de Carli], who is the subject of several criminal investigations, before being sold to TCGA. This businessman is accused of resorting to an illegal and often violent process of land grabbing.”They added: “The pension funds buying Brazilian farmland through their investments in the TCGA are now directly involved in the country’s serious land conflicts.”The researchers also said TCGA funds were invested through a separate company, Tellus Brasil Participações Ltda, managed by the Brazilian sugar company Cosan.According to the report, TCGA ultimately owns 49% of Tellus, with Cosan owning the other 51%.Tellus acquires farmland on behalf of TCGA but is not subject to Brazilian regulations restricting foreign ownership of farmland, since it is 51% owned by the Brazilian company Cosan.However, according to the report, Tellus raises funds for its acquisitions by issuing debentures to two companies controlled by TIAA-CREF.The report says: “By acquiring these farms through the purchase of debentures from Tellus, TCGA can effectively ensure complete control over its farmland acquisitions without surpassing the 49% ownership of Tellus that would subject the company to Brazilian laws restricting foreign ownership of farmlands.”It continues: “This expansion of agribusiness also spreads a disastrous model of agriculture. The plantations growing commodity crops, like sugarcane and soybeans, deplete soils and water sources, pollute and poison local communities with pesticides and provide few jobs to a desperate and exploited rural workforce.”It concludes: “TCGA’s cash inflows are fuelling an expansion of plantations across many states in Brazil, which is destroying the environment, facilitating labour exploitation and generating severe land conflicts.”AP2 and TIAA-CREF are both founding members of the group of international institutional investors that launched the Principles for Responsible Investment in Farmland in September 2011.These principles aim to improve sustainability, transparency and accountability of investments in farmland. AP2 told IPE: “Sustainability factors are central to AP2’s investments in farmland. Our strategy is to invest in large-scale agriculture real estate in countries that possess clearly defined legal structures.“We do not acquire small family-owned farms in Brazil. We are confident in the due diligence process TCGA has in place.”Last August, TIAA-CREF announced it had raised $3bn for TCGA II from 20 investors, including AP2, Cummins UK Pension Plan Trustee, Environment Agency Pension Fund, Greater Manchester Pension Fund, New Mexico State Investment Council and the TIAA general account.The fund will invest in farmland across North and South America and Australia.The report is available here.
Tweet 27 Views no discussions Sharing is caring! Nature Island Literary Festival & Book Fair. The fourth Annual Nature Island Literary Festival and Book Fair gets underway this evening with a grand opening ceremony at the University of the West Indies Open Campus, under the patronage of His Excellency President Dr. Nicholas Liverpool.The grand opening is expected to showcase live poetry performances as well as stories written by local, regional and international writers.The ceremony will also feature Jing ping music and the Sixth Form Sisserou Singers.The Literary Festival however, will include exciting workshops such as Travel Writing, Opening Doors to Literacy, Playwriting and Ideas and Issues with several professional writers including award winning playwright Snoo Wilson from the United Kingdom.The Nature Island Literary Festival encourages all to register for one of the festival workshops scheduled for tomorrow, and advises that these workshops, all held at the UWI Open Campus, are a great opportunity to improve your writing skills free of charge.Dominica Vibes News Share Share Share EducationLocalNewsPrimarySecondaryTertiary Fourth Annual Nature Island Literary Festival and Book Fair commences this evening by: – August 5, 2011
Manchester United will be hoping they have unearthed two future stars when they confirmed the signings of defenders Marc Jurado and Alvaro Fernandez. The PA news agency understands the Spanish teenagers will join the youth set-up at United once final clearance has been received. Jurado, 16, and Fernandez, 17, are joining from Barcelona and Real Madrid respectively. The pair are understood to be isolating with a local family after moving from Spain. That’s in line with the government guidelines. All arrivals from the country are required to undergo a two-week quarantine period under current Covid-19 limitations.Advertisement read also:Lukaku tips Man Utd to build on Solskjaer success next season Tromso forward Isak Hansen-Aaroen, who turned 16 last weekend, is also joining United. The Norwegian last month became their youngest ever player when making his debut at the age of 15 years 319 days, with the club now awaiting paperwork to complete the deal. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading…
Cities may still have their own curfews in place. For that reason, the county asks residents to check with their municipality.Protests in Broward County since Sunday night have remained mostly peaceful, as residents take place in nationwide demonstrations against racial inequality, following the death of George Floyd while in police custody in Minneapolis. Broward officials announced Wednesday afternoon that they are lifting the countywide curfew, although they warn it could be reinstated if there are any threats of civil unrest.The county has been under a curfew order from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. since last Sunday, when afternoon protests in Fort Lauderdale became chaotic amid tension between law enforcement and demonstrators.County Administrator Bertha Henry terminated the curfew order on Wednesday afternoon. The curfew could be reimposed, officials add, with as little as one-hour notice “if there is evidence of possible civil unrest that threatens the health, safety, or welfare of the public.”Emergency curfew order is lifted with the condition it can be reimposed if lives, businesses, or property are threatened. https://t.co/9ef5GpbqYs— Broward County, FL (@ReadyBroward) June 3, 2020
The IOC disqualified Yulia Chermoshanskaya, 30, after a reanalysis of the retired runner’s samples from Beijing found traces of two banned substances in her system — stanozolol and turinabol.Chermoshanskaya was also disqualified from the 200 metres, in which she finished eighth.In a letter from the IOC addressed to President of NOC, Habu Gumel and signed by Pere Miro, the IOC wrote; “it is our pleasure to inform you that your relay team is now placed second in this same event”.Belgium has been upgraded to the relay gold, with Nigeria moving up to silver and Brazil to bronze.And in order to proceed to the reallocation according to the new classification, the IOC asked the NOC to send back the bronze medals and third place diplomas and pins of Ms Franca Idoko, Ms Gloria Kemasuode, Ms Halimat Ismalia and Ms Oludamola Osayomi who were Team Nigeria’s flag bearers in the women sprint relay team.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram 2008 BEIJING OLYMPICSThe International Olympic Committee (IOC) has formally written to inform Team Nigeria through the Nigeria Olympic Committee (NOC) that it has upgraded Nigeria’s bronze medal won in the women’s 4×100-metre relay at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing to silver.The IOC stripped Russia of the gold medal the country won in the women’s sprint relay at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, after a widespread, government-sponsored doping scandal wreaked havoc for the Russian athletes.