Rwanda MPs to debate Kagame bid for third term

first_imgRwanda President Paul Kagame Rwanda President Paul KagameRwanda’s parliament was set to open a debate on Monday on amending the constitution to let strongman and President Paul Kagame run for a third term in 2017.MPs were due to “examine the relevance of the draft of revision of the Constitution of the Republic of Rwanda as amended to date,” said a parliamentary statement.Mr Kagame has run Rwanda since his rebel army ended the 1994 genocide.He won elections in 2003 and 2010 and, under the current law, is due to step aside in 2017 at the end of his second consecutive term.But earlier this year, more than 60 per cent of voters signed a petition calling for constitutional changes to be drafted that would allow Kagame to stand again in 2017, an initiative that has already rubber-stamped by both houses of parliament.Both houses of parliament are dominated by the ruling Rwandan Patriotic Front (RPF), Mr Kagame’s former rebel army, and are expected to pass the draft constitutional amendments before putting the changes to a referendum.The revisions to Article 101 — which limits presidential terms to two — and other parts of the constitution follows three weeks of “popular consultations” by parliamentarians during which MPs travelled the country and found just a dozen voters opposed to the reform.Mr Kagame’s aides have insisted that any bid for a third term would be in response to “popular demand” that he stay in power.Mr Kagame is painted by supporters as a guarantor of post-genocide stability and the economic growth that has transformed the country over the past 20 years.But many observers say the move is orchestrated by a government and leader with an iron grip on a country where freedom of expression is severely curtailed, and merely part of a wider trend of African leaders seeking to stay put.On Thursday, Rwanda’s Supreme Court dismissed a legal challenge to the constitutional amendment from the Democratic Green Party, the only political group in the country to oppose Mr Kagame’s third term.last_img read more

Seyboth Wild emulates Nadal with ‘Golden Swing’ title

first_img Read Also: Ligue 1: Marseille lose unbeaten run after Nantes defeat “He proved that he deserved his wild card and took very good care of his opportunity,” Ruud told atptour.com. “Even though I’m not that experienced myself, I can see that he’ll be around for many more years. Hopefully we can play many more finals together in the future.” FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… Promoted ContentThe Highest Paid Football Players In The World10 Risky Jobs Some Women Do7 Black Hole Facts That Will Change Your View Of The Universe6 Interesting Ways To Make Money With A DroneBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend BetterTop 10 TV Characters Meant To Be Iconic6 Most Breathtaking Bridges In The WorldWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?7 Universities Where Getting An Education Costs A Hefty Penny8 Amazing Movies You Need To Watch On Amazon PrimeBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For Themcenter_img Brazilian teenager Thiago Seyboth Wild on Sunday became the youngest champion on Latin America’s clay court ‘Golden Swing’ since Rafael Nadal in 2005 when he captured the Santiago title. Just like Rafa! Brazil’s Thiago Seyboth Wild holds the Santiago trophy The 19-year-old defeated second-seeded Casper Ruud of Norway 7-5, 4-6, 6-3 in the final to also become Brazil’s youngest ever champion at an ATP event. Nadal was 18 when he triumphed at Acapulco in 2005 when the Mexican event was still played on clay. Seyboth Wild will now rise from 182 in the world to 113 when the new rankings are released on Monday. Ruud, the world number 38, had arrived in Chile two weeks after winning the Buenos Aires tournament, becoming Norway’s first ever ATP champion.Advertisementlast_img read more

Cricket News #MeToo movement: Hit by sexual harassment allegations, BCCI CEO Rahul Johri forced to skip ICC meeting

first_img For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. New Delhi: Hit by the #MeToo storm, BCCI CEO Rahul Johri, who is facing allegations of sexual harassment, has pulled out of an International Cricket Council (ICC) meeting in Singapore after the Committee of Administrators (COA) declined his request for more time to explain the charges put on him.The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) acting secretary Amitabh Chaudhary has replaced him to represent the Board at the meeting scheduled in Singapore from October 16-19, COA chief Vinod Rai told PTI.“Rahul had sought 14 days for a detailed explanation as he said that he is working with his legal team and since he was to attend ICC Meeting from October 16-19 in Singapore,” Rai said.ALSO READ: Dr APJ Abdul Kalam 87th Birthday: Nation pays tribute to ‘missile man’“But I clearly told Rahul that I cannot let this issue simmer for 14 days as the BCCI office will be affected by it. Since he wants to sit with his lawyers now, I allowed him exemption from ICC Meeting,” he added.Chaudhary, who replaced Johri, has already reached Singapore for the upcoming meeting.ALSO READ: Rahul Gandhi in MP: Congress chief to visit Pitambara Peeth in DatiaThe allegations of sexual harassment against Rahul Johri has been made by an anonymous person, who claimed to be his colleague during his time at the Discovery Channel. Johri had worked in various positions at the Discovery Channel from 2001 to 2016 before taking the charge as the BCCI CEO.Johri became the BCCI’s first CEO after the revamp of its administrative structure owing to the Lodha Committee recommendations. last_img read more